Finally finally finally Friday! People, I’ve been m.i.a. with a nasty pinched nerve that immobilized me for the last three weeks. So I’m even happier than usual to be able to work on music again this weekend! Production on the Coachella Mixes has begun and helping me get back on my feet with her live house set this Weekend is Magentik Zu from Australia.
It’s awesome how people meet nowadays. John Beaver and I produce music and the annual Coachella Mixes together. John played in Australia. John met Magentik Zu. He talked about our track. She sent me a friend request and here we are 🙂
Magentik Zu does much more than just DJ and produce, though. She runs the ZuReal DJ website offering DJ classes of all kinds including lessons for our little future star DJs from age 7 and up. The website also serves as a platform for bringing DJs and events together. All in all a super effort that helps bind the music community, which in itself deserves its own feature.
BUT I also have some music for you. Check out this up-beat house mix, that has helped me wake up from my pain-coma. I’m posting the YouTube live recording as well as the SoundCloud version, because the video seems to be blocked in several countries, including mine. For those not fortunate enough to see Magnetik Zu perform live in the video below, check out and enjoy the SoundCloud link!
I’m off now to move my body like I haven’t moved it in the last three weeks, mainly get up, cook, clean, jam a little… you know, human stuff 😉
It’s late Friday night over here in Germany.. by the time I’m finished it’ll officially be Saturday. But I’m excited I waited because Shayan Darabi, Jason Victorine and Gentry Jones, aka. Phonic Youth just posted probably their first ever live 1-hour mix recording of a show they played recently at Ten15 Folsom in San Francisco for the Yotto Hyperfall Tour 2019.
The reason this is so exciting is because I’ve known Shayan for a very long time. In their early days we even came together for a collaboration and wrote a progressive house banger track called 5am.. over ten years ago. This track includes live guitar by Jason and vocals by Shayan. Still one of my personal favorites in my collection. Phonic Youth has really come a long way and they were already friggin good back then!
Here is a little taste of 5am though I have to say they’re sound has really matured a lot since:
I know that it must have been really exciting receiving the news to be playing at Ten15. I played there a few times myself in the upstairs house room. Those were some of the best shows of my career back then. So I want to send out my sincerest congratulations on getting yet another step further and will dedicate this week’s Finally Friday to never stop taking these steps!
And now please chill or groove or full on dance to this Phonic Youth deep house set, recorded live at Ten15 Folsom in San Francisco, CA.
With Coachella right around the corner and the 2019 Coachella Mixes in the works with John Beaver, everything I see and hear reminds me of those festival weekends. My compadre Dariio posted this link to Justice Live at Glastonbury on his facebook page and although their sound has matured since I saw them for the first time at Coachella over 10 years ago, it sure fuckin brings me back!
Justice has inspired me so much over the years. They introduced a sound I had never heard before and it pushed me to find new sounds, mixes, mashups, sets, rules and just keep going with my music. No one has brought grimey electro glitch and distorted sounds together and end up with mainstream results like they have.
So here is to a unique, off the wall, glitchy, melodic weekend, everyone!
Boy, if these syncopated and grimey sounds don’t reflect how my week has been going then I don’t know what will. BUT it’s friggin Friday and I’m celebrating with another home slice from the Cali DJ days: Formless
We met at a ranchero rave about ten years ago. Such a polite and respectful fellow musician and a dope ass DJ on top of it all. For the past years I’ve been checking out his mixes and one thing I noticed each time is that he was playing music I’ve never heard before.. pretty much every single time and this has always stuck with me.
Today we’re gonna check out a double feature of West Coast Bass. I could lean in and call it trap but I won’t 😀 … Back when I was DJing in California, Formless and I played similar styles. He’s always been playing all kinds of music but at the electro shows I played at he also played electro as far as I can remember. It’s interesting to see how our styles morphed over the years (and with the location). I tend to be playing tech house and deep house nowadays and he has become even more versatile never sticking to a strict four to the floor beat. These two mixes are a perfect example of how unconventional Formless can get in constructing his live sets. Awesome job, man. At some points in your mixes I didn’t even know what was happening anymore… 😀
I am almost certain that the next mix he’s going to come out with is going to be a completely different genre, maybe even one we haven’t heard of yet.
Now stomp out this weekend with these mixes. Tracklists are below.
1. Champagne Drip- Axis Mundi
2. William- Three Quarter Pants
3. Isqa- Hugs and Hexagons
4. Flux Pavilion- Youve got to Know (Champagne Drip rmx)
5. Voodoo x Mercy (KRANE edit)
6. Gnar Gnar- Monument
7. Champagne Drip- Hot Pot
8. Hex Cougar- Sleepwalking
9. What So not- Beautiful (Zeke Beats rmx)
10. Isqa- Counter Clockwork
11. KRANE- Titan
12. Clockvice- Chokehold
13. WAKA x CRNKN- No Hands (ye. flip)
14. “Cruise Control”
15. Chee- Rude
16. 12th Planet & SPL- Lootin (Champagne Drip rmx)
17. Protohype- Check
18. Conrank- Mad in Here
19. Creaky Jackals- High Frequency
20. G Jones- Collision Course
21. Awaltalk- Sober Dreams
22. G Jones- In Your Head
23. Minnesota- Final Frontier
24. Eliminate- Champagne
25. Bro Safari x Dion Timmer- Proper (AMF rmx)
26. Xilent- The X
27. Mr. Bill x Au5 x Vorso- Inner Face (Vorso rmx)
28. Jantsen- Badboy Sound
29. Kai Watchi- Demons (Liquid Stranger rmx)
30. Eliminate- Haunt Me
31. Tha Trickaz- Hood Bodega (Plain Sight rmx)
32. NGHTMRE- Another Dimension(YOOKIE rmx)
33. Sayer- Sonar
34. Conrank x Dirt Monkey- BLT
35. Champagne Drip- Argent Energy
36. Mat Zo x Kill The Noise- Got The Love
37. Revazz- Tilted
38. Clockvice- Breaking Mirrors
39. Dua Lipa- Be The One (KRANE rmx)
1. Loose Ends x Hotline Bling (Ookay rmx) x Hustlin [KRANE edit]
2. MYRNE- Lyra
3. Graves x KRANE- Spells
4. Sayer x Ethan Glass- Energy
5. Ekali x TYNAN x Heckler- Blood Moon
6. Bounce Back (Vanic rmx)
8. MYRNE- Alters
9. Robotaki- Limbo
10. Vorso- Cephalopod
11. MEMBA- O.D.
12. Inverness x Creepa- Up
13. ATLiens- Alchemy
14. Freddy Todd- Air Bread
15. Troyboi- Flamez (Alexander Lewis flip)
16. ye.- Americana (hlsy flip)
17. Chee- Get Hot (G Jones rmx)
18. Bro Safari- Collisions
19. Vorso- Midnight Sun
20. G Jones- Understanding The Possibility
21. Clockvice- Ink
22. Ion Driver- Limbo (Clockvice x Vorso rmx)
23. LEVITATE- Shatter
24. “Down Low”
25. Bassnectar- Chromatek
26. What So Not- Trust (MYRNE rmx)
27. Noer The Boy- Slither
28. RL Grime- Era (Inverness rmx)
29. Ivy Lab- Cake
30. Vorso- Needle (VIP)
31. Culprate x Scope- Blowfish
32. HOLLY x Purge- Catalyze
33. Codes- Boom Bapps (Craze rmx)
34. Clockvice- Egofeeder
35. Vorso- Commanded
36. Eliminate- House Party
37. Vorso- The Imperative
38. Champagne Drip- Deckard
39. Vorso- Tesla
40. Droptek- Smog
41. Chee- Spoken
42. Kursa- Watch Me
43. Wingz- I Got (Vorso rmx)
44. Babylon (anti-negative flip)
45. Mr. Carmack ft. Adam Vida- I’m Juiced
It’s easy to find some superstar on YouTube and use their videos in these posts. Their videos are perfectly produced and the track lists are usually on point. It is much harder on the other hand to find videos of “locals”. If I could, I would start off every Friday with some local love. So please feel free to send me your mixes. YouTube, Facebook, Soundcloud, Vimeo.. I’ll check it all out.
This week take a listen to Lunar Vision. Accurate mixing, awesome flow and always an interesting track list. Show him some deserved love! Cheers RDMN
This was the live session before the recording session for the following podcast:
01. Sebastien Leger – Naive
02. Robert Babicz – Great River
03. Simon Doty & Zein – Filling The Blanks
04. Jeremy Olander & Cristoph – Dimensions
05. Blancah – Apneia (Binaryh Remix)
06. HOSH & Tim Engelhardt – Blinded
07. CIOZ – Lion
08. Silar – The Tunnel
09. Fur Coat – Monday
10. Nhar – Light Radius
11. HOSH feat. Karmon – Awakening Of The Birds
12. Daniele Di Martino – Framework
13. Plastikman – EXpand (Tale Of Us Remix)
It’s Friday and you guys know nothing makes me happier than that! This time I have to give this girl a shout out. I’ve been following her on twitter when she was getting about 20-40 likes on her tweets and now she’s getting like 500 likes per post! It’s awesome to see her get noticed and play all sorts of big shows like Tomorrowland this year. So here is to another rising star in the Techno scene. Hut ab meine Gute!
It’s finally Friday, people and I’m glad to be back. I’ve had a series of mini vacations around Europe with London, Amsterdam and LOTS of Berlin. I want to celebrate having a Friday to myself again after weeks of being about and we’re celebrating it with one of my favorites: Stephan Bodzin.
Here he is playing his unique live set 10000 feet high in the mountains at Schilthorn Piz Gloria for Cercle.
01. Rodriguez Jr. – Mistral (Stephan Bodzin Remix) [SYSTEMATIC]
02. 04:55 ID – ID
03. 08:55 Stephan Bodzin – Catamaran [AFTERLIFE]
04. 15:25 ID – ID
05. 16:46 Stephan Bodzin – Zulu [HERZBLUT]
06. 21:59 ID – ID
07. 26:10 Stephan Bodzin – Strand [AFTERLIFE]
08. 33:10 Stephan Bodzin – Birth [HERZBLUT]
09. 40:40 Stephan Bodzin – Odyssee (Synthapella) [HERZBLUT]
10. 52:55 ID – ID
11. 57:50 Stephan Bodzin & Marc Romboy – Kerberos [SYSTEMATIC]
12. 01:03:05 Stephan Bodzin – Boavista
13. 01:10:02 Stephan Bodzin – Powers Of Ten [HERZBLUT]
14. 01:15:50 Stephan Bodzin – Singularity [LIFE & DEATH]
15. 01:20:58 Tale Of Us & Vaal – Monument (Stephan Bodzin Remix) [AFTERLIFE]
16. 01:27:40 Pan-Pot – Sleepless (Stephan Bodzin Remix) [SECOND STATE]
Video credits: Artist: Stephan Bodzin Venue: Schilthorn Piz Gloria (https://www.schilthorn.ch/) Produced by Cercle Executive producers: Philippe Tuchmann & Derek Barbolla Film directed by: Pol Souchier & Derek Barbolla Directors of photography: Anatole Vaillant, Houssam Omar, Haytham Omar. Drone: Cercle / Anatole Vaillant Sound Engineer: Vincent Mathieu & Pierre Jean Lorteau assisted by Aurélien Moisan