After last weeks thump and grime and distortion I want to share one of my favorite mixes from my early mentor, and one of the best producers I’ve ever met, J. Scott G. He manages to bring sophistication into that “Rock Out” feeling! I coined the genre “Electronica” because it’s not all house and electro but includes breaks as well. We met through John Beaver back in the day when Scott was still part of Deepsky, an electronic live band with lots of live percussion resulting in a tendency towards breakbeat arrangements. They’re shows varied with the setup. Sometimes it was just Jason and him and at other shows an entire band would show up… including a live flute as I’ve experienced back at a Hollywood party.
Scott immediately opened up to a young me, an aspiring producer looking for any and all the help he could get. I will never forget how he busted out two empty CDs after their show (Yes CDs, it was 2004-ish) and filled them with DAWs, VSTs and Samples and told me:
“If you can’t make music with this, you can’t make music.”
That same night he also told me the following piece of advice that’s still holy to me:
“If you start a new project and it’s not kickin after 8 tracks, scrap it and start over.”
This happened the very first time we met after a Deepsky show in San Francisco.
We’ve managed to stay in touch, had lots of exciting moments since and even met up in 2012 in Berlin to explore the night life. Unfortunately, I was unable to meet up with him on his last Eurotrip but I’m sure there will be a next one and I’m making it a point to organize a little reunion.
Anyways, enough about all that. Like I mentioned this mix can be blasted in the car or listened to while cooking dinner. I did both this Friday. I feel it’s important for me to musically educate my neighbors with the help of the volume knob and these mixes I post. Now check out the last mix you’ll ever need.
1. Intro [0:00]
2. Andrew Bayer & Matt Lange (feat. Kerry Leva) – In And Out Of Phase [1:39]
3. Hybrid – Numb (Hybrid Kill City Sounds Remix) [11:09]
4. Meat Katie & Chevy One – When You’re Dead [14:24]
5. Seb Dhaje – Go Down [20:15]
6. Soundprank/Proff/Frank Sinatra – Lady Rotation (J. Scott G. Mashup) [26:57]
7. Pryda – Allein [32:04]
8. Sergey Tkachev & Alexy Sonar/Blake Lewis/John O’Callaghan/Charlie Chaplin – Find The Great Spiral Touch (J. Scott G. Mashup) [35:54]
9. Au5 – Tendril [43:04]
10. Andy Page & Phil K./Neelix/Guy J – Get To Fly Your Galaxy (J. Scott G. Mashup) [46:56]
11. Deenk/Adam Freeland/J. Scott G. vs. Imprintz & Kloe/Meat Katie – Only You Can Battlefunk In Your Mind & Soul (J. Scott G. Mashup) [56:09]
12. Au5 & Fractal/Queen/Kaskade – Turn Down The Secret Radio (J. Scott G. Mashup) [60:41]
13. Bluescreen/Dilemn/POD/Loadstar – Past The Undercover Boom (J. Scott G. Mashup) [63:05]
14. Asking Alexandria/Celldweller/Chase & Status/Hybrid/August Rush – Break The Lesson In Time (J. Scott G. Mashup) [70:18]
15. Outro [74:13]
“Samples from August Rush, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey, Here Comes The Boom, The Great Dictator, Perfume, V For Vendetta and anywhere else I could find something inspiring.” – J. Scott G.